Monday, November 26, 2007

10pm, Same day

... One more hurdle crossed! I had heard horror stories about JFK international.. and was mentally prepared for it. But even then the sheer complexity and confusion had me for a ride! If it is possible to get completely lost at an airport, it is right here.. the security personell are not too helpful either, I guess they get tired of continuously directing lost souls.

The security queue was quite long, with a shrill periodic reminder of our 'middle class' nature - 'business and first class passengers, over here please!' Something that amazes me at airports, and especially here at NYC, the center of the world, of how such a diverse and diverging population converge into this cesspool. The 4 yr old crying on seperation from a dear one, the 'carrie-miranda-charlotte-samantha' of NYC bothered by it, the teenager on cellphone and the elderly just hoping that the line would end.

There is a gradual transformation in the nature of crowd as I progress towards my destination. Already at the emirates gate here at JFK, the proportion of Inidans are in a majority, rather an overwhelming majority. Even the ratio of bengalees seems to have grown significantly. I dread that the last leg is going to be them exclusively. Although most of my friends with whom I am comfortable are from the region, but for some reason, the 'typical' probashi bengalee causes an allergic reaction in me. I guess its just the over-importance of self that we typically possess.. I have to get used to it soon!

The general energy levels at airports usually are very low.. most people are concerned about the journey, hoping for a smooth ride. Some are engrossed in the things that they leave behind, and others in the thoughts of things to come. Very few, if any, are present at the scene. Except for the children. The children are liveliest here. Freed from the cramping confines on-board, they give full vent to their energy. It clashes starkly with the sombre thoughts of the 'grown-ups'.

I am about to leave the american soil in a couple of hours. The bindings to this land pull me hard, I just have to break them without looking back. I had come to this new land to find a new beginning.. feels like the circle has come around, with me looking forward to a new adventure ahead!

No comments: