Friday, December 21, 2007

Bengaluru - the Silicon valley



Most of my batchmates are either located in one of the silicon valleys - bangalore or bay area. I meet the fellows over at CA quite frequently whenever I travel there. I had been out of touch with the others. The next day I met with three of them over lunch. Not everyone could come as they were not in town. For a varietly of reasons, I had the idea that those situated there are permanently settled. But I was proved wrong, with most of them talking about plans to shift to the US. It seems to me that in about a year or two, I will find my entire CS batch (including myself!) over there at the bay area :) This was rather surprising since life in Bangalore seemed pretty decent, the only gripe being the over-congested traffic. Still, the city seemed to have a better system of flyovers and traffic flow than Kolkata.




The desi version of Ferreo Rocher as seen at a store!


The grass does seem greener on the other side. I cannot deny that even after all the economy boom, the strengthening of rupee, it still pays more to work in the US. With prosperity, the prices of commodities has also risen sharply. Sure, if you have money you can live like a king, but you can't make that sort of money while staying here. The only possible way to buy a property in a good part of the city is to use dollar savings. Spending money has never been easier, with the prices touching direct conversion amounts from dollar. Staying at a place like this, it is quite natural to be tempted by opportunities to earn and save more. And going to US is a sure and easy way of doing that! Over there, as we mull on the possibilities of coming back to this place, the people here seems quite set to get there!

No comments: